Saturday, January 11, 2014

Moons: Phase One

With Valentines day on the horizon, I thought it appropriate to share my love story. I'm so blessed to have gotten the whole marriage thing right the first time. I met my other half in high school, though we aren't exactly high school sweethearts. 

I remember when I first started to take notice of him. I was a 9th grader and he was a junior. Obviously, he was too cool to date someone 2 years younger than he was but that didn't stop him from the occasional flirt that would twist my stomach up in knots and make my heart beat all kinds of crazy. He was the guy all the girls wanted to date. He dressed sharp and was part of the starting lineup for the basketball team. He wasn't your stereotypical arrogant athlete though. He was polite and respectful but had decided early on that high school was for fun, not serious girlfriends which in hindsight was probably a good decision.

So, I tucked tail and found someone else to date.  Then, wouldn't you know it, Mr. Heartstopper asked me to meet him at the pool hall to watch an Arkansas Razorback game with him. I can't remember how they looked back then, but their record had to be better than this past season. Anyway, I immediately forgot about ole what's his name I had been dating and jumped at the chance. There was only one problem; mom wouldn't let me out of the house. She taught me a very important lesson that night: you don't go out with other boys when you already have a boyfriend.  Oh yeah, there was that. 

Fast forward to my tenth grade year; his senior year.  The attraction was still there but he held fast to his rule. He would sneak up behind me in the hall and put his arm around me risking being caught by the PDA police. In shop class, he would suddenly have chapped lips and need to use my pear flavored lip gloss. During 7th hour I would always have to use the bathroom, which was up in the gym, so I could watch a few minutes of his basketball practice. It was one of those times he pulled me behind the ball court and stole a quick kiss.  My heart nearly stopped! It didn't matter that he was dripping with sweat.  

Then, there were the ball games we traveled to regularly on the same bus.  I was a cheerleader and our school was small so the cheer team rode the same bus as the ball team.  I would get all giddy every time he stepped up to the free throw line and shot a quick glance at me when I knew he should have had his head 100% in the game.  On the way home, the girls on one side and boys on the other side of the bus rule never held up. So, he normally sat down right beside me.  He would always steal a few kisses under the protection of the pitch black night which shielded us from coach's eyes.  Baseball season was no different. He was a player, I was a diamond girl (the person who kept the stats). I remember that K is a strikeout and E is an error, but most if all I remember the times he would take me home after the games. We would always detour down by the lake first for a quick make out.  When our team made state and we got to go on an overnight trip, I was busted in the guys dorm watching a movie with my future husband. Now, I know what you're thinking, but there were 6-8 people in that room so we were really only watching a movie!!  Keep your head out of the gutter; I'm still just a 10th grader! 

Then, the unthinkable happened! He asked me out on a date. Of course I said yes, then because of ridiculous teen drama, called and canceled. This happened not once, but twice. My chance was gone. 

Graduation came and he left for college. It was incredibly hard at first even though we had never dated because he was different.  When I was around him, I felt connected to him.  Life went on though and I still had two years of high school.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some touch and go there, bad choice of words lol, at first, before you became one under your sun

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it PG around here!